Sunday, November 22, 2009

Who is the sick one?

I just read the last couple of posts by DW and my heart is breaking for her
her last line,

Yes, one day at a time, one hour at a time, 1 minute at a time - we do muddle through, don't we?

and we know that these are the magic words of alcoholics anonymous
I live them every day
yet, do our husbands? sometimes I wonder

it is their diabetes and yet we are the ones wondering how we will survive

something is wrong with this picture
maybe we have a different "disease"
maybe we are the famed "enablers"

I try not to be
but what is one to do?

I fell in love with him and married him before his health was in such dire condition
before I knew that he would treat me with such disregard
yes, I said me
because at some point that is what it comes down to
not how well he takes care of himself
but how well he treats me

he has so little regard for me that he refuses to take care of himself
or he is wallowing in such self pity that he can't see past himself to take care of me

don't misunderstand, I'm not asking for him to "do" anything specifically "for" me
other than taking care of his own health so that I don't have to constantly save him from hurting someone else in a car crash, going to the hospital, or even dying

Is that really too much to ask?

I don't think so.

All of my very best wishes for everyone taking care of a diabetic who is not doing everything he (or she!) can to take care of his health for himself, for you, and for the rest of his family.

Tom's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment