Saturday, March 16, 2013

Baad Evening!

Poor Tom -- feeling like he has no control of his sugar!
Poor me -- feeling like she has no control over anything!

Late afternoon -- we agree to go to the grocery store and then my mom's for dinner
At the grocery store, I notice he is very grumpy -- not so like him

we get in the car to drive away, and it hits me
"Tom, what does your monitor say?"
"...... 70 and going down -- maybe you should drive"
we are in an intersection. 
I ask him to switch places and he says ok
but he doesn't know what to do
I put the car in park and get out
encourage him to switch places
fortunately the car behind is patient

I hand him candy and drive away
he is quiet

we stop at a liquor store to get beer and wine for dinner
and for him to get a real candy bar

clearly his sugar hasn't reached normal
we leave one store and are on our way to another
he asks for the car keys
and I won't give them to him
he says I am cruel

he is right
he wasn't going to get in the car and drive away
but I was scared

he got his candy bar and I drove us to my mom's
I apologized and he forgave -- even understood
but there was an edge to the rest of the evening

my sister was at my mom's and made dinner
 yummy shrimp quesadillas

the minute we were in the car driving away
Tom was complaining about the food
it had way too many carbs

What????
Well, the corn in the quesadilla, the quacamole, and the rice
huh?
there was hardly any corn in the dish
where is the carb in the quac -- other than in regular salad
and why did you eat the rice?

there was an argument for everything
when he checked his sugar was "over 300"
and he didn't know how to get it down without dropping too low

by the way, he dropped to below 50 last night and we had trouble getting him up

I'm exhausted and feel so frustrated

does he have an eating disorder?
or is he super vigilant about his diabetes?
what's the difference?????

I'm struggling with this tonight.





2 comments:

  1. Oh...I understand...been ther more times than I care to count...YOU are not cruel just smart...i understand the foid thing...mine sneeks candy...then gets mad when his BS goes up...go figure tat..sure wish I had better news...just going day to day...life sucks...I need an attitude adjustment...where can I buy one? Sure miss my online friends...keep posting so others can benefit for your words...TX DW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a very tough evening. Why would you give him the car keys when he was low? It doesn't sound as if you had anything to apologize for, as you were keeping both of you safe! How is that cruel?

    As for the question about eating disorder vs. being hypervigilant: I think to those of us who have to deal with our diabetic loved one, reasons don't always matter. We just know how it affects them, and us.

    Hang in there, Tom's Wife. You have been through so much.

    Hugs,

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete