Friday, June 17, 2011

Lots of comments on "Risk"

Usually I simply post the comments I receive
it seems this touched a nerve and people want more details
a number of people feel like they are safe because of the manner in which they post

in presenting my friend's information as I did, the intent was to "disguise" the details
this was in part to protect my friend and in part to advise that nothing is safe.

Most people probably don't know that most identity theft is initiated by someone the victim knows! rather than by a stranger. I don't mean one or two credit cards being stolen but true identity theft.

In my friend's case, well, I will let her tell it: (again edited so the key points - in my opinion -- come shining through!)

I was on my own personal computer using an internet server I pay for from my home. My husband's previous employer hacked in and trolled the key-strokes on my personal computer and followed me through the web to find my blog. They then twisted what I said and used it against him. So, he was given the choice to step down or publically defend himself against charges of being a wife beater. He did not want me to have to defend him. He did not want his employer to know we were fighting these charges. He stepped down and assures me it's a blessing in disguise.

Horrible for friend and husband - in this case husband is a true hero - friend has frequently told me that even though he frustrates the heck out of her when he doesn't take care of himself, he is always her rock.

I think that is true with many of us
and its why it is so heartbreaking when these heroes of ours lose themselves
we spent so many years counting on them - relying on them
then it seems like one day we woke up and realized that we couldn't do that any more
they stopped taking care of them selves -- they stopped being the rock-solid hero in our lives
all of a sudden - at age 50 or 40 -- 0r whatever
we had to be the hero in our own life
not what we signed up for
not what we wanted in our life

and then it all gets compounded by "normal" life problems
computers getting hacked
crappy work events
past husbands
parents who need help
kids who get in trouble
whatever

there is no need to panic
and no need to be smug
just use good common sense
and keep moving forward
its all any of us can do

1 comment:

  1. This is very scary that someone would go to so much trouble to hurt someone in this way. Makes you feel like nothing is safe!

    ReplyDelete