Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A New Type of Risk

A friend of mine writes a blog - one of those stream of consciousness ones like we do here
we get the "big" stuff out so we can go back to being super wife away from our computer

well, somehow in a totally unrelated set of circumstances, her husband's employer found about her blog. He has been demoted and her computer was confiscated! How does this happen in today's society? what happened to the first amendment?

Needless to say, my friend (and her husband) are devastated!
I can only imagine.

I am wondering if I need to go back to what I've written and reconsider what is stored here.
for all my whining, I would never want to put Tom's job at risk
that never occurred to me!

WOW!

what do you think?

4 comments:

  1. That's a reality everyone must take into consideration. You're employer looks at you as an employee first, and if you're writing something that can weigh back on the business and it becomes an issue, then you have a choice to make - job or personal blog. One thing, though, that doesn't exactly make sense from what you wrote... 1. She blogs about her DH. 2.) The DH's employer found out about the employee's wife blog. 3.) The DH was demoted. But does the blogging wife also work there? How would her computer be confiscated if not? And, was she blogging on company time? The last point could make all the difference - if you're supposed to be working but are instead writing personal blogs, that's an issue. Anyhow, sorry to hear it became an issue. But yes: expect everyone can see your blog, and be prepared. I'm always up front about what I do, and my employer's cool with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points, Michael,

    being careful about being public is always important

    and I don't understand all of the facts --

    but I also know that not all employers act rationally

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not have an employer. I was on my own personal computer using an internet server I pay for from my home.

    My husband was not demoted by his offical employer; the one he earns his living by. He is no longer able to work for or have access to information from a past employer. One he hasn't worked for in years.

    It was this previous employer who hacked in and trolled the key-strokes on my personal computer and followed me through the web to find my blog. They then twisted what I said because I guess they could not decipher a metaphor.

    My DH is not a "yes" man. He speaks the truth. It seems people like him scare Big Brother. So, he was giving the choice to step down or publically defend himself against charges of being a wife beater.

    He did not want me to have to defend him. He did not want his employer to know we were fighting these charges. He stepped down and assures me it's a blessing in disguise.

    Anonymous Wife

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this. Really got me to thinking. I went through and edited a couple of my posts tonight.

    ReplyDelete