Monday, November 21, 2011

Big Catch-up

Its funny how I have come to think of the people on this blog as my friends.
I know I have not been writing much lately, but neither have others.
Lilly -- did you ever hear from Sandy?
maybe she got tired of us old people?
I want to know how Lynn Barry's book is doing
we haven't heard from Sugar or Raging in a bit
and there are a couple of anonymous members who frequently comment ---
but maybe its because I'm not writing

Anyway --
here is my update

Tom is doing OK
he has a new monitor, and it helps
but its not perfect and this past weekend we had a bad event that I'm still trying to process

My sister was giving a party and I was helping her
I was preparing a complicated dish on Saturday and things weren't going well
he was off doing his own thing -- which is fine -- but when he got home he started bothering me in the kitchen and just being in the way -- this is unusual behavior for him
I was distracted and just got angry at him -- told him to go away

a bit later I looked up and really looked at him and in a glance could tell his sugar was low
so I asked -- what does the monitor say?
after a hesitation, he said 170
I asked 70 or 170?
he said 170.
I didn't believe him but what can I do?

I requested that he take some juice and go away and leave me alone
(for those who aren't familiar with this scenario -- I wasn't being mean just matter of fact)
He started yelling but I got him out of the kitchen and let him yell in another room
(oh and I broke down and gave him a glass of OJ -- I almost didn't but I just couldn't deal with EMTs or whatever)

so later we went to the party -- in one car -- its only ten minutes away -- he was fine by then
I told him I was upset because he lied to me and that I also get upset when he puts me in the position of having to treat him like a child.  (I had taken his car keys away from him -- don't want him killing anyone else when he is so low).  it is unfair of him and he gets mean.  so he pulls the poor pitiful me routine -- he is sorry but doesn't like it when I treat him like that and he is angry with himself. blah blah blah

Then, the party is full swing - and he says he is tired and going home.  he will come back and get me when I call him.  what can I say but ok?  so he left -- he has never really done that before.

When I called him there was no answer and I assumed he was already asleep
my sister drove me home
he was asleep and didn't wake up when I got home.

Part of me thinks this is all fine -- but part of me has hurt feelings because he was so detached from me and all that occurred. 

Sunday he seemed a little more engaged -- more normal -- but Saturday -- it was that detached attitude that was so bothersome to me....

Oh well, another day in the life of a diabetic spouse
nothing else to do but move on
it is what it is
and now on to Thanksgiving...........

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for all the nonsense. It just never seems to end, does it? I'll be posting about some of my own nonsense tonight . . .

    Hope your Thanksgiving is a good one,

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete