Sunday, February 19, 2012

Trying to Enjoy Each Day

Just caught up on the last couple of days of postings

Lilly! glad to see you are ok -- I'm sorry you are feeling down.  Sometimes life just keeps beating down on you and its winter and the days are short and there is no let up on the stress!  I wish I knew the key to better days -- I don't but truly hope you find some.  If nothing else, its good to know that April is only 6 weeks away!

I have also noticed quite a few other followers have not written in quite awhile.  Hopefully their lives are busy with good happenings - not sad . 

For me, I am making the effort to enjoy each day.  I'm so lucky right now that the challenges I face - whether they are with work, or Tom, or anywhere else in my life -- are truly small compared to other people. 

Tom has always been an aggressive driver, it has nothing to do with his diabetes -- and I have frequently been scared when he drives.  The diabetes makes it worse because when his glucose gets low, it takes me too long to recognize that its not just normal poor driving that is causing the problem.  99% of the time he is truly fine.  But who wants to risk the 1% 
On the other hand, I don't love driving that much -- and he drives over 100 miles a day round trip to work each day.  So if he doesn't drive -- what happens with his job?  Right now we are talking almost every day about his driving.  He says he is much more conscious of his bad habits and is doing better.  He is definitely better when I'm in the car. 

But again, I got off track.
I just spent the last three days with my sister -- helping her clean and organize her basement. it contained years of boxes of her stuff, her kids stuff, and stuff inherited from parents and grandparents who had passed away.

we are not done, but when we started, it was overwhelming -- there was just a narrow pathway to walk between the towering boxes.  Now you can see a great deal of the floor, there are marked boxes where items are grouped into logical order (books over here, pictures over here, games over there) and a large section set up for the world's greatest yard sale.  Honestly, I may pick up an item or two.

When she was thanking me for helping, she acknowledged that she couldn't imagine "giving up" this many days out of her life for me.  Well, honestly I enjoy the project but I also treasure spending time with her.  there is nothing more important to me right now than spending time with people I love

I try to spend some time each week with my parents (in their 80s) and with other family members because one just never knows what tomorrow will bring  I know that right now I have the time to do this  and so I do.

And, here is my response to a couple of comments I received but did not publish
- I work really hard to look at all sides of a situation and not to judge others for their opinions
until you walk in someone else's shoes it is impossible to understand their perspective -- its something my grandfather used to say -- I'm not always good at practicing that concept but I do work at it

- And, there are not many more skeptical of the medical industry than I am.  On the other hand, I recognize that Tom needs medical care -- he can't live without it.  So, if doctors try to sugar-coat the message or minimize the impact of a certain treatment, well, that's crappy.  And, yes, Tom and I need to be on top of our own research to understand it.  But this is not unique to diabetes care.  It is our entire medical program and there is lots of blame to go around.  I detest it but see no option for the foreseeable future.  Without his doctors, Tom has no future.  With them, he has a chance.....

So that's my "rant" tonight
thank you if you read this far
I hope you can find something you can do for yourself tonight
I'm going to enjoy my family now

Good night


2 comments:

  1. Spending time with those we love is really the most important . . . worth "giving up" our time! Wish you could help me clean out my basement, as it sounds just like your sister's.

    I just read your comment on my blog about the driving. I do get it, as I can't imagine the loss of independence I would suffer if I couldn't drive! Take care, and be happy as much as possible . . .

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I'm new to this. My partner is diabetic and after yet another evening of telling me just how much stuff is my fault I find myself looking on the Internet and came across your posts. Good to know I'm not alone as I'm feeling pretty much responsible for every problem in this house right now

    ReplyDelete