Wednesday, September 7, 2011

An Embarrassment of Riches

Thanks for everyone who commented on my tennis analogy.  It seems like many people found it to be somewhat appropriate!  Sure is for me.

So now I am on to a new dilemma - One I hesitate to share - because it is about good fortune and I could use some advice.  My hesitation is that I recognize that I am lucky to have these choices in this crazy economic world we live in -- but in this one regard, maybe all of my hard work has payed off just a little.

So, here is the deal.  A month ago, I left my employer and took early retirement.  Its been a blessing.  I am so happy to never go to that office again and see those people!  I just cannot even share with you the horrible environment in which I worked.  While I was part of the Executive Team (smirk) this is a place where everything is combat, no one works together to accomplish anything, each "victory" for the company or for the customer, is actually a lost battle in the eyes of the executive who didn't get his way.  (and I do mean it in the male context of the word)  

Needless to say, I am happy to be gone!

Now, I am working on my own, planning my own consulting business out of my little home office, figuring out how to make the internet work for me, making phone calls, trying to write meaningful articles, reading stuff about "HOW TO MAKE A MILLION DOLLARS IN A DAY!" and all that stuff.  I have put together what I think is a reasonable business plan that will build my business at a reasonable pace and pay me a reasonable amount of money and with any good luck, I won't have to work 10 million hours a week.  I am getting some leads and am feeling positive about the possibilities.

Well, I have been asked to apply for a position with a Federal agency that could truly be a once-in-a lifetime opportunity.  It is a policy job in my industry and it is highly placed, so I could truly having an impact on US citizens.  Its a two year job and the pay is "fine" but not "great".  It would be stable and would probably give me extra oomph on my resume -- but also sets my business back another two years.

what do i do?  how does one think about opportunities like this when neither answer is wrong and there isn't enough information yet to know the right answer...

any suggestions out there?

I value your feedback.



2 comments:

  1. Well...since you asked...government jobs scare me especially in this day...but you seen to understand that sector...Health insurance come into play? That's a big deal! Can your business wait two years? Or can you do a little to keep your business going during those 2 years? You know the old saying...bird in the hand...but untimately you are the one who knows what is best for you and which way will allow you to sleep better at night... and GOD knows we all want that....another thing I deal with is the home office...that is hard to do unless you draw hard lines...but love the idea of having the ability to help citizens... feel helping is what we are here for...of course would love to know more/less the areas you are talking about... maybe at a later date....best of luck on your decision...am sure you will make the right one...also glad to hear about a good news problem...we all have enough bad new ones...think we are all in this together...good and/or bad...TX DW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you that you have choices! Maybe it would help if you made a list of "pros" and "cons" for each . . . I know that helps me sometimes when I am trying to make decisions. And in the final analysis, follow your heart and your gut instinct. Sometimes things just "feel" right or wrong! Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. Sounds like you have some exciting possibilities.

    ReplyDelete