Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Love Comments

It is very great to receive comments from my on-line friends
Truly you guys get it, even when others don't

Here is Tom's update

Every night since the car incident, he has gone low in the evening
the other night after he recovered, I sat him down and looked him in the eye and said
stop, this is not ok
I am trying to help, not hurt
but he cannot leave me to deal with this like this

his response?  "I'm going to the doctor next week"
me:  Monday?
Tom:  no, Friday, I think
Me:  not, ok.  it is not ok to go low every night between now and next Friday
 you may not live until next Friday.  what can you do between now and then?
Tom:  I don't know
Me:  Is there no one on the face of this earth who can help you?
you can't call your doctor?  there is nothing on the internet?  no one else who has diabetes who has ideas?
is there something wrong with your pumpt?

Tom:  Well,... I have been thinking that the doohicky in my pump may not be working right, maybe I can call them

HUH????

Me:  OK, when are you going to call them?  I think this is important.  and in the meantime, can you use your manual monitor in the meantime?

Tom:  Oh, yeah, maybe I can do that.  I'll call the company first thing in the morning and see what they say.

Follow up -- he received a new part to his pump by Fed Ex the next day and he has been using the manual monitor in the mean time.
To my knowledge he hasn't gone low since.

HMPH.  why does he have to make it more complicated?
oh, I know, we have the answer to that.
but geez, really?
maybe tomorrow I won't worry so much when he is driving home.


3 comments:

  1. Is it just DH that like to make things hard or do all men (as they get older) look for the hardest way to do everything?? Know mine does!
    Some of the things are just stupid! But my friends say their non-DH's act thay way as they age...of Lord help us! TX DW
    P.S. Isn't it amazing what Fed EX can correct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for Fed Ex . . . and you for challenging his "gee, I don't know what to do" attitude. Why is it that we have to take them through all the baby steps to get there? And if your hubby is like mine, they get mad when you do! And yes, I totally get it! Hope this has been a much better week for both of you.

    Take care,

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a thought about this I wanted to share. A car wreck would push adrenaline extremely high which creates glucose. He's still getting the same insulin, but his body is creating even more from the adrenaline, so he's going to crash as his body self-corrects. Puts him into that roller coaster thingy until his body calms down, stops creating the addional adrenaline and he gets back to normal.

    I still believe that when an event happens that triggers and increase in adrenaline, then insulin doses need to be reduced. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete