Sunday, December 2, 2012

what's the difference between Happy and Content?

My sister and I took a weekend trip to Gulf Shores Alabama to visit a cousin
it has been delightful
we are in a 15th floor condo overlooking the Gulf of Mexico on the beach
it is absolutely beautiful and we were lucky to get fabulous weather
its so nice to be away from the challenges of home for just a few days
I have spoken to my mom and Tom each day -- so all is right at home
Here its just so away...

We had a conversation this morning about being happy
my version:  I am content with my life:  I have moments of happiness, moments of sadness, anger, grief, etc.  but on a natural keel -- I am content -- that is my life that is what it is
I don't really know what "happiness" is on an ongoing basis.  more than moments of happiness are too much to expect .

Her version:  she wants her life to be happy with moments of pure joy, sadness, anger grief, etc.
to her - the natural keel is happiness.

Are our perspectives different?  Is it just a word or an outlook?
I'm trying to remember my last experience with pure joy -- and I'm not sure I can
are there moments of excitement?  yes, on very rare occasions
but there are also moments of extreme despair -

what is the middle?  what is the norm in my life?
I pick content -- she picks happiness
she thinks if I were to rephrase it i would be happier (there is that word again)
but I think it just sets up for more unmet expectations

so interesting to have these conversation at the beach!

Going home in a few hours....
back to normal.....

No comments:

Post a Comment