Friday, September 25, 2009

Always a B

A little off the diabetes topic tonight
this was what I was thinking today....

So I know its been 35 years since high school (I know this because a school friend contacted me recently and told me). But I still think of myself as a B student. OK, a B person. Yes I have done a lot in my life. I have a good job, a nice home, a good marriage etc. I got a great education from a great school, just not quite the best.

Let me try to put it this way. If you are familiar with NCAA basketball championships...its like a team that always makes it to the sweet 16 but never gets higher. They are one of the best teams in the country but never quite the best.

That's me, its who I work for, its the colleges I went to, its the grades I got, its the money I earn, its everything. Never the top, always close. I'm smart, just not "Harvard" smart. Most of the time, I'm fine with this. But every once in awhile (like today) it gets really hard.

I just don't know where I fit in. So, coming home and talking with Tom, I wondered, do I fit in better here? Is he a B also?

No, he is an A, for sure. There he is working the newspaper crossword puzzle in pen and getting it all right! He went to a school with its team in the Final Four almost every year! He is one of the really smart ones! he manages his diabetes really really tightly. He eats very carefully, he has been out of high school 40 years and weighs the same as he did back then, he can out-maneuver me in any conversation that he wants to.

that's it, I'm going upstairs. Its a good thing I enjoy my own company.

No comments:

Post a Comment