Tuesday, September 22, 2009

DRIVING -- ME CRAZY!!!

Thank you all for your encouragement. It helps.
I'm learning a lot. From one person:

"The phrase Type 3 was coined by somebody for the spouse of the PWD (person with diabetes). I, too, am the wife of a man in his mid 40's with diabetes. I am thrilled to have another blog to read..."

Who knew?

And from another:

"Been there, done that. I've been married to a non-compliant diabetic for 17 years. It has been a roller-coaster at best. My hubby has been on dialysis for 4 years and now is having surgery for Charcot foot. What a nightmare. I will not ride with him driving the car anymore. (Too many scary experiences) Just remember, this is his doing and his disease, we are just there for the ride. I have screamed, cried, yelled, begged, ignored, and just adjust, but nothing seems to matter. He is just doing things "his way" It doesn't work for me, but he will not change and I just have to adjust. For whatever reason (sometimes I question myself) I still stay and deal. I do love him with all my heart and wish things are different, but they are not. I know deep in my heart that all will be okay .. just know you are not the only one dealing with this nightmare of a disease. Just be strong!!!

So here are my thoughts on the driving "experience"
Tom is the most aggressive driver I have met
Some of my family members won't get in the car with him at all

You know those drivers that people talk about on all of those talk shows?
The guy who whips in and out of lanes between cars, just to get ahead by a car length or two?
He speeds up, tailgates, drives in the break-down lane, backs up on the freeway, etc

Yeah, he's that guy -- and that is NOT having a sugar low!
He only had his car one year when he had worn out a hole in the carpet where his heel sits by the gas pedal . . . He claims that this is the only way to drive -- and it's fun!!

So, yes, we have had many, many conversations
now, when I am in the car, I remind him of our agreement:
a) he scares me and out of respect for me he needs to slow down
b) I can't tell whether he is driving that way on purpose or because his sugar is low therefore he must drive better to prove that he is ok or pull over and let me drive

If he is ok, he drives better -- if he is not ok, I know I have to force him to let me drive

Its not great, but for now it still works

I fear the day when it will no longer work

As for the staying or leaving part,
well, I'll leave that discussion for another day

No comments:

Post a Comment