Sunday, September 20, 2009

A few days ago, we were at a large family dinner. Tom was sitting next to me and lots of conversations were going on all at once.

Across the table, I caught my sister looking from Tom to me with a shocked, questioning look; and I realized that she was trying to understand what Tom just said. He had answered her question in gibberish. Upon looking at him, I know in an instant. The glassy eyes, the pale skin, the lack of expression on his face . . .

You see, Tom tries so hard to manage his diabetes to a "perfect" 100, his glucose count drops very low very fast with increasing frequency these days. I do not need to test his blood, its as obvious to me as if he had fallen over on the floor. [This is so different from the early years of our marriage when I lacked confidence and tried desperately to figure out how to test and figure out numbers. Now I have the confidence to rely on my own instincts -- I'm never wrong!]

So, in an attempt to minimize disruption to the dinner, I get Tom out of the dining room and encourage him to drink some soda. Surprisingly, he agrees and recovers fairly quickly. This was critical because we each had driven our own cars -- there was no way I could let him drive without bringing him sugar up. The disruption was minimal.

But count me bad, but I was quite angry. He had just finished eating! How could he let himself get so low? When I asked he told me that he didn't like the food and that the chicken tasted sweet so he couldn't eat it. Does this make sense to any rational person? He couldn't eat the chicken because it was too sweet, but then had to drink a 16 ounce bottle of soda because his sugar had gotten so low. And he wants me to think I'm crazy!

Please, who is really the crazy person now?

2 comments:

  1. No common sense, no logic, no reasoning.....they just can't do it when their sugars are low.....and they just can't "see" it when their sugars are normal. Thank goodness your sister signaled you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other day my hubby and I (I'm the diabetic) went out for dinner. I thought was going to have a carb fest, bolused for 60 carbs. Did I eat 60 carbs at dinner?!?! Nope, but I told my hubby I bolused for 60 carbs. I told him I needed something to eat with 30 carbs. I am sorry your hubby didn't speak up for himself but glad you were there to help him out. T-3's ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete