Saturday, September 11, 2010

Is this a happy ending?

A young man I know just completed his divorce from a type 2 diabetic woman.
They have 2 kids.
She (they) are in their young thirties and she had zero control over her diabetes
She had a horrible diet, never exercised, and from what I heard would let her glucose swing wildly high and wildly low -- wouldn't take any medication
By the way, she works in the medical field also
On more than one occasion, she was driving and her son called daddy because he was scared that mommy was falling asleep while driving!

Well, my young friend told me that he didn't know what to do, he was worried about the kids, that he was tired of dealing with her illness, but -- you know the line -- do you leave someone because they are ill?

Guess what? She left him and the kids! She walked out!

Of course there is more to the story and we will never know the entire truth, but at the end of the day, he got custody of the kids and she is off "killing herself" and the kids are safe with my friend.

I don't know if this is really a happy ending or not, I believe it is for the best. My friend is a terrific person and his kids will have a safer more secure home life now. But they have also lost their mom. Gosh, this is just a no-win situation isn't it?

It really makes me sad,
I mean, of all people, I know how diabetes can have such a devastating impact on the person who is ill and on the family "married" to the disease. It is HARD!!!!

But lots of people face it and deal with it. Maybe not all the time, but they realize that there are other people involved and take care of themselves so that they can take care of others. And then there are those who are not capable of reaching that place -- at least not enough of the time.

I know for me, leaving has been an on again/off again "fantasy" -- not sure that's the right word but I'll use it anyway. There are times when I just don't think I can take one more minute of him! And, with this type of disease, it is SO DIFFICULT to determine what is disease related and what is just personality related. Is he having trouble reading/putting sentences together/remembering stuff he used to remember because he is older? not paying attention? has high sugar? has low sugar? is angry with me? wants some quiet time? is not in the mood to talk?

And yet, truly, the good times far outweigh the bad times for me still. If it weren't for him, I would probably laugh much less often. So I am staying put. At least for now. But, that's my decision. Everyone else has a different path to follow. And the path continues for a long time. There really are no right or wrong choices - there are just choices.

These are my thoughts for today.

As always, I wish every other diabetic's spouse, a good night's sleep tonight.
Tom's Wife

1 comment:

  1. I have a son who had a wife who has emotional or metal problems, not sure what is going on with her but she bolted too, even after he went beyond the call of duty...she is not diabetic but the situations sound similar otherwise and the kids are better off...these wives mentioned are narcissistic and self destructive and the families need to be in a safe place and that means not with the destructive one...having said that about those situations, I also agree that each case is a special case and the people involved have to do what they have to do...and sometimes it means...good bye...I love reading your blog...one Tom's wife to another. HUGS

    ReplyDelete