Monday, September 20, 2010

Talking it Out

I had a conversation with a new "friend" today
In telling her about my significant weight loss, I realized that I figured out how to "talk" my stress instead of "eating" my stress

Not sure if I told you this before, but over about a year I lost 70 lbs
in fact, I didn't plan it
it kind of just happened

but a bunch of stuff (bad stuff) happened
and for one of the first times in my life, I couldn't eat
but what I did do, is start talking, in a different way, to people that matter
when I was feeling defeated and cornered, instead of hiding away and eating
I selected a few people who may be impacted in a manner similar to me
and shared some of what I was feeling

Amazingly, they understood -- they were able to empathize with me
even if they didn't have the exact same experience as I had
they "got it" -- they understood -- they helped me see the humor
they helped me see another way through -- I didn't have to hide and eat to feel better -- which of course never worked!

You know, of course, that these people who understood - they were women
Maybe, because I am a women, and we talk
but it worked for me
I just have to stick to it
I fear I won't be able to - but its my hope that I can

Why is it that talking can be so difficult?
it is so hard to trust, it is so hard to believe that someone else believes in the sames things as us when those "in power" tell us we are wrong, we are "stupid", etc

On the living with a diabetic side, we are led to believe that we make up our husband's diabetic "incidents"

He wasn't low, that was our imagination
he wasn't high, that was our making things worse than they really are
we make these things up so we can add drama to our lives
or something

but when we talk, when we share
we realize we are not the ones who are wrong
we are not the ones who are crazy
we are struggling to get through the day

Why in the world would I want Tom to be low in glucose?
why would I ask him to eat something to increase his sugar?
Do I do get some diabolic pleasure from this?
Oh, I know, I really want him to die, yes in another 30 years!
and in the meantime, I want to panic every time he has a dramatic swing!
This really makes no sense -- what is he thinking?

But sharing, talking, knowing that others understand, really does help
And, I don't mean talking indiscriminately
it matters what you say and who to share things with

but I am here to tell you, it finally has helped me

have a good night
Tom's Wife

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful...so true...I needed to read this...THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh...I now know there is someone else who understands.....don't think "my diabetic" is as bad as yours but the life sounds so familiar that is could be mine....I can't stand the "incidents"...you know the ones that are my fault and I just want control....he just doesn't get it...it's me...sometimes I just want to disappear...so glad to find this site....please keep open dialoge....need to see I am not alone...thank you for being here.

    ReplyDelete