Saturday, August 27, 2011

Thanks, Tex for being there = it helped to have a friend



I was so panicked the other day that I don't think I was coherent
it has been such a busy summer and a good one

the question about Tom's driver's license sounds reasonable
until you realize that he drives - about 150,000 miles a year
between going to work, small errands, and going to visit his mother in another state
believe it or not, the last time he had a total breakdown like this was 5 years ago
he has had more minor ones when I have been in the car and was able to
stop it earlier in the process

ok, maybe that sounds lame
if he were a drinker maybe that wouldn't sound good enough
but imagine how our lives would be impacted if he couldn't drive!
maybe I'm thinking of my life!
and wonder if I would have to start driving him everywhere
i just couldn't do that
and to pay for someone else to drive him?
that would probably bankrupt us

He is supposed to be getting his new monitor very soon
its not a perfect solution but its much better
the monitor, for those of you who don't know,
will test his glucose for him and ring an alarm when it goes low
if he ignores it as its going down - he won't hear or react when it is too low
so the problem always is with us

but it is better.

of course, I am on the watch out for him mood right now
I am a little afraid that he will get depressed after this episode
like he did last time
that means he gets angry
angry at himself means he shows anger at me
we get into this circular pattern of horribleness

I am doing my best to not let that happen
but I'm stressed out also
he did not call his doc (as I asked him to do)
he told me that she would just say (so what did you do about it?)
and then last night he was going low before dinner
and I had to insist that he test
he didn't argue too much - but he wasn't happy with me
(like it was my fault)

sigh

well, I knew the good times couldn't last forever

hopefully this little downtime won't last too long




1 comment:

  1. Why oh why do they always think we are the bad gusy? We are just trying to make sure they are okay, but it is rarely construed that way.

    As for the "why is he still driving?" question: yes, it is scary that our diabetic husbands are still on the road at times, but the alternative (paying for rides or always taking them ourselves) would be too severely limiting . . . for them and for us!

    ReplyDelete