Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Day After

Last night, I truly thought Tom was gone
that I would never see him again
I went nuts
in a total panic
really faced the tragedy of his death
I couldn't deal with it!

I totally fell apart

today, I still feel awful - but better that Tom is ok
but I'm also thinking better

our conversations about how to help him have always focused on insulin
rather than food

I think he needs to keep a food diary so we can have a better understanding
of exactly what he is (or is not) eating each day

when we meet with the dietician in June she can evaluate how well he is doing

i read today that a man should eat between 50 and 60 grams of carbs in a meal
Tom thinks that is way too high

I made a very healthy dinner of shrimp, veggies and rice
he pushed the rice aside and wouldn't eat it
I am no position to argue with him
he is in great health (for a non-diabetic)
his weight is good, his heart, blood pressure, etc are all good
at least according to the doctor's tests
but you and I know ...
well, enough of that..

we are going to try to put an app on his phone
but he is un-enthusiastic
thinks it is too much work
I will have to try to help
wish me luck


3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had to go through that... I bet Tom felt so bad (at least I hope he did), even though it was such an innocent thing. We PWDs too often forget that these innocent things, issues that non-D couples don't have to face, can have huge emotional tolls on our loved ones. Means we have to take extra care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, Mike. Yes Tom felt awful. Its because he is so good about letting me know where he is that I panicked so badly. there is no doubt that this can be a difficult life for the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't been online in a few days and was panicking as I read your posts. How awful. How frightening. I feel so bad for you...like I wish I could make it all go way. Bt I can't. Here's wishing you peace in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete