Monday, May 7, 2012

Trying to Write...

I have tried to write several times - but deleted what I wrote

feeling like it didn't express what I was feeling adequately
feeling -- troubled

Challenging but so different than others
I have to work hard to not judge myself
it seems like I have it better
so I shouldn't complaint
but honestly, I have been struggling a lot
with my own depression
which is a serious illness
I have been in trouble with it before

anyway, that is not what this is about..

I am challenged by Tom's problems

He is having serious lows multiple times per week
I would appreciate advice on this if anyone has some

his new meter is giving us reports now -- if I ask to see it
the last report showed that he fell below 39 4 times in a week between 5:30 and 7 pm
just like I thought -- but he wasn't sure -  and he still doesn't seem to be as worried as I do about it
he continues to feel more concerned about going up to 250 the same number of times in the same week

when I argue that he isn't going to die at 250 he says that he'll go blind or lose his kidneys and that's just as bad

I came home Saturday night from a family thing and he was so low I thought he was dead already
he was so close!  I needed to get a nurse-neighbor to help me bring him back around.  Very scary! 

He has agreed to go to a new doctor and I am permitted to go to this doctor with him.
this new doctor is at one of the best institutions in the country and one of the best docs in the country (at least according to her press)  but we can't get in for 3 months -- so we shall see,,,

in the meantime, we go along day by day
and I worry about my friends on this blog and hope that you are getting along ok
Lilly, there are certainly benefits to your camper -- but its not nice getting "kicked" out of your home
DW, I am glad that you are getting some peace in your life -- stay true to yourself, you will be ok

We haven't heard from some of the others lately, but I pray that they are doing better also.

I am not re-reading this,,, I am just sending it
hope it is ok...


5 comments:

  1. TW, I am so sorry you are going through this. I thought things were going well. I'm glad you wrote. Start by taking care of you. He may well go into a low that he does not come out of....so have a plan in place. 3 months is forever...is there a PA or NP he can see sooner? They could adjust his insulin in the interim to get the lows moderated.

    Know that you are not alone. My hubby went thru this abt 3 yrs ago. It is so scary. Just remember that you have to also take steps to take care of you.

    Hugs! DW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Blog! Thanks for sharing with us.

    Type 2 Diabetes

    ReplyDelete
  3. You nailed it, when saying "stay true to yourself." That's the most important. Sorry it's a struggle, and for the Lows. Those such, for us PWDs but in so many more ways for our D-spouses. We don't appreciate that enough, and I think more recognition should be given to that. Anyhow, best vibes your way and hope all calms down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    Sorry you are going through this. My suggestion is on the next frightening low call 911. He will be seen immediately. Let emts, paramedics know he is a brittle diabetic and you fear for his life.
    Another possibility is take him into ER of hospital of his new doctor and name doctor as his doctor.

    Good luck.
    SAR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom's Wife,

    Just read all your posts, and so sorry you are having to go through all this. The good thing is that you want to keep Tom around! :-) I do hope things get better for both of you soon.

    No, it is NOT nice getting "kicked out" of my own home, especially since now he is blaming me for leaving. What the heck did he expect? Oh well, I am still enjoying the peace, and looking into eventual/alternative living arrangments, as I don't think I can ever go back. . . which makes me very sad for both of us. However, I am starting to get excited about other possibilities for myself.

    Love,

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete