Monday, July 2, 2012

Wow! What a Weekend!

As man of you know, Tom and I live in the DC area where we had a monster storm on Friday night
all of my family members houses' lost power -- we were the only ones with it
the temperatures were in the vicinity of 100 degrees with high humidity
there have been many many phone outages - both land lines and cell lines
Fortunately, my parents in their 80's didn't take too long to decide to come stay at my house
two of my sisters were in and out of my house with various family members (including a dog) over the weekend.
My refrigerators and freezers are packed with everyone's food!

Last night my parents' electricity came back on and they left around 8 pm
but one of my nieces arrived at 11 pm to sleep here

another sister and her husband may sleep here tonight if they still don't have power
and I don't know about the other one

and then Wednesday is Fourth of July
they are saying power in the area will not be restored completely before Friday!

another sister has planned a large party for Saturday!

it is just Monday morning and I'm tired

Fortunately Tom was his genial self the entire time -- although he did disappear several times
he also felt compelled to chop down a tree in a neighbor's yard.  Now I think that was fabulous of him -- very nice because the neighbor is unable to do it on his own.  However, the tree was not blocking the street, or the sidewalk, nor was it on the house.  The neighbor has a yard service which I am sure will show up this week.  The neighbor isn't that nice either -- but Tom is -- so that was interesting.

At one point, one of his diabetes machines (meter, pump - something) failed and he had to figure out what was wrong and fix it.  This of course happened in the middle of lots of people being around and trying to make dinner on Saturday night. 

but he did a good job and I was proud of him.  He handled himself and my family great.

Now another sister just called and she has her power back.  Maybe everyone will be gone by the end of the day! 

Back to normal?????

Wishing the best for everyone else in their moments of strife!

Tom's Wife

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds totally crazy! Hope things get back to normal for you soon . . . you must be absolutely exhausted. At the same time, your family is very fortunate that your home was a "safe haven" for them to go to.

    Hang in there,

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the update:

    it is July 4th and everyone is back to their homes except for one sister. This is the one with the husband and dog.

    I really don't mind them being here except she is very needy. I understand her anxiety but it is very difficult for me to have any time for myself.

    She just left to go to one of her friend's houses but her husband showed up to cool off. He is also a talker so still no calm yet.

    It is fine - I feel so bad for them.

    they are going out to dinner and fireworks so we will have a bit of time alone later and I plan to spend a bit of time at my local pool.

    Its all good.

    Tom's Wife

    ReplyDelete