Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Family Wedding Vent

OK, not related to the Diabetes thing
but I just spent 5 days at a "destination" wedding
3 days longer than planned
with 20 members of my "birth" family
I'm done
don't misunderstand
I love them dearly
however, this was way too long -- for all of us

in brief
my niece wanted to get married at the top of a mountain
really, at the top of a ski lift
and we wanted her to be happy
so we traveled
all of us
including my parents and aunt & uncle -- who are in their 80's and not healthy
the wedding didn't make it to the top of the mountain
but to a conference center, at the bottom of the mountain

it was very nice
and yet
at the end of it all
the city from which our flights were to depart, after it all ended?
was to experience the snow storm that was a record

the bride and her immediate family?
they drove home -- that day
her aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents?
the majority of the wedding guests?
no, they had to fly -- and didn't

they were stuck in a hotel until Tuesday night (instead of Sunday afternoon)
just waiting

maybe I should be more generous
but I'm not
I'm poorer
I'm out of patience
I'm tired of relatives measuring whose "lost work" was more valuable than mine
I'm tired of taking care of my parents
I'm tired of worrying about when my dh was going to go low -- he didn't
you get the idea

clearly it was about me
and I should apologize for that
but I am just too tired

I had to go back to work today
and to everything that entails
don't even ask.....

and now to catch up on all of the dh emails

it just makes me feel horrible for whining

but there it is

I want to comment on every day of DW's posts
but just can't tonight
there are just not enough hours in a day

she is so right
all my "sisters" on this site (and hers) are wonderful
we are a team
we understand each other like no one else

sometimes the stories take my breath away
and I feel bad for my own complaints

but then we all find a way to go on

now, its about sleep
sleep -- its the antidote to it all.......

to all of us,
may we all go upstairs, with the dog crate, and
sink into what I like to call
the "brown" zone... :)

Tom's Wife

2 comments:

  1. I think at times we are all in better or worse places than our other sisters...but what we all have in common is the 24/7 responsibility that comes with being married to someone with a complex condition. Medical staff often have long shifts...we are always on duty.
    HUGS and LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are few things I find more inconsiderate than a "Destination Wedding". Who does the happpy couple think they are fooling? When I take a vacation I want to pick the time and place. I don't want someone else doing this for me under the veil of consideration of making their wedding a vaction for their guests. Anymore, I send a gift with my regrets.

    ReplyDelete