Saturday, March 12, 2011

He holds it together when we are gone

One of our sisters wrote:

Does anyone else see a pattern...he seems to do okay when I am gone but when I am around he just forgets to eat...also anyone want to discuss the effects of this disease on the mind...his and mine...I can't find a lot of information on this subject...any suggestions

If you go back through Diabetic Wife's blogs you will see that she has a lot to say about the disease on the mind of the diabetic. Most of us believe there is a big connection. But the scientific community hasn't focused on that yet.

Over our lives, I have traveled frequently for work and Tom rarely has had a problem managing his glucose level. However, it became a major issue for us at one point because it seemed like every time I came home, he would go into his severe lows. (again, fine when I'm gone, BAD when I'm there)

One of those times, I put a glass of OJ in front of him, told him to drink it and walked out of the house. I didn't come home for a couple of hours. I think those hours were worse on me than him. I was sure I had just killed him. but I got home and he was fine. He tried to hug me and thank me. But I was too angry.

Yes, they are insane to a certain extent -- and the sugar extremes probably impact their brain activity -- surely their heart activity. And yet, we go on.

Sometimes, I don't know why

Keep me posted, we try to help each other here.

Tom's Wife.

1 comment:

  1. My hubby sort of seems to "do okay" when I'm gone too, but my thought is that he probably really doesn't. I know that almost all the time, if I have left food in the fridge for him, it goes untouched unless I am there to physically put it on his plate, which I find more than frustrating. He will often tell me when I come home that he has been high (or low), or sick all day, and quite often hasn't eaten anything, or has only eaten junk, (such as chips) that he has bought. But he is also a talker, and maybe some husbands just don't want to admit that it has been a bad day! I have the opposite problem: often, I will get hit with this "news" the minute I walk in the door. Sounds really terrible of me, but sometimes I just don't want to hear about his disastrous day, as it is mentally exhausting after awhile.

    ReplyDelete