Monday, March 28, 2011

glucogon - is that the shot?

Tom's doc tried to give us one of those shot things early on
is that what Lilly is talking about?

When he is between 17 to 20, yes . . . you have to do something before he passes out. That is, if he can still swallow at that point! Is he actually still capable of yelling at you at that point? Do you have glucagon injections in the house? Or even frosting in small tubes? I know this sounds gross, but I have had my hubby get to the point a couple times where he was so out of it he could not swallow or suck from a straw, and at that point, frosting can actually work, as it dissolves in the mouth. The gel kind would probably be even better, but have never had it on hand. Another time, the glucagon was home and there was no sugary frosting, so I was literally holding his head back and drizzling soda down his throat. He did finally come around, but the whole episode made for a hell of a family Christmas! My next step was going to be calling the ambulance. This was after he had screamed at me all the way to my brother's house for almost half an hour, and then was so "out of it" I couldn't get him out of the car when we got there. Was I enabling him? More like making sure he survived! Never a dull moment.

I tried, I really did.
but of all the things I have done for him, putting a needle into him is one thing I cannot do
when he is so far gone that he cannot swallow or suck from a straw,
I call 911
He HATES that more than anything
and frankly, the emergency folks don't love it either -- although they are nice about it
but there are times when I reach my limit
he is beyond my ability to help
and frankly the fact that he hates it is not such a bad thing
as long as i don't over do it

Oh, and can I tell you about the time his mother called 911 from 1,000 miles away?
I was upstairs - having a nice time, reading, taking a shower, whatever,
had no idea what he was doing downstairs

suddenly, the doorbell rang
it was the EMTs
my MIL (who is evil by the way) had called while I was in the shower and tried talking to Tom
she decided he needed help and figured out how to call the local police station
they called the EMTs who showed up
in that instance, Tom was not that bad,
I could have helped him

but oh, well,

I really appreciate the EMTs
its nice to know they are there
since I can't use the shot thing
needles are not my thing

this kind of rambled
sorry
but the idea of the shots and EMTs got me started
thanks Lilly

3 comments:

  1. A needle is nothing. Really.

    I'm suppose to to carry not one but two Epipens with me at all times. I ALWAYS have at least one, because if a wasps stings me a few minutes later my throat may swell to the point I can't breath.

    Life with the shot or death without it. If I can't give it to myself I need the person I'm with to do it. Sadly, even if it's one of my kids. If not don't bother calling the EMTs, just call the hurst.

    It's just a Thin, little piece of metal. Don't look. Just jab and press. If you're shaking try and remember something mean he said when he was in a nasty mood and give it to him - hard! I bet you will both feel better when it's over.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have drizzled plenty of soda down hubby's throat myself, in hopes of avoiding the darn glucagon. I always have straws on hand, they help a lot in getting stuff in his mouth. Thanks to the CGM we haven't had to many bad episodes lately but they are still around and pop up sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom's wife,

    Yes, the glucagon is the "shot thing." Have never had to use it (yet!), but we have one at home and in both vehicles now. As for needles, I never thought I could do it either, but when hubby had surgery on his hand several years ago (and before he was on the pump), I gave him insulin shots for awhile. Didn't hurt me a bit! :-) Love S/new to this's comment above!

    By the way, that is almost unbelievable that your MIL called the police station for help when you were already home!

    Take care,

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete