Sunday, March 27, 2011

Nothing like being there

this is why these blogs work:

Lily writes:

Laughing at your "survival issues are different over a****le issues." Took me a minute. Although I know it is anything but funny when the yelling starts. For me, it is sometimes so hard to sort out. With my husband, if he is aware and functioning enough to scream at me, I feel safe to walk out of the house and leave him for the moment, as he is still capable and mobile enough to eventually figure it out, and fix what's wrong on his own. Unfortunately, when he starts screaming, it may be because of low blood sugar, extremely high blood sugar, or his anxiety issues, so I can't just pour him some juice. If only I could! However, if he is goofy, barely moving, and/or breaking out in a cold sweat, I don't dare leave him until he has something sweet (juice or otherwise) in him, as he is incapable of getting anything for himself at that point. The anxiety-related meanness has calmed down considerably since he is (finally) on the right dose of meds, on a daily basis. I have threatened to leave him if he goes off them again!

when I get scared about leaving because I'm not sure the OJ will work -- that he can't even drink it by himself -- my sister says I'm just enabling him -- but his glucose is 17 or 20!

that is a physical condition -- whether its his fault or not

am I really supposed to just let it go
I just don't get it

thanks for your laughter Lilly -- its therapeutic

and Sandy, she writes...

I learned that when the hubby is in a low reaction, if I don't keep my cool, then he gets mad. I remember one time he was yelling at me and I couldn't understand why until I figured out he was low (before CGM days) once he came up, I said, do u even know what you just said to me? He had no idea...

It took me years to understand the lows and that my "keeping my cool" was the trick
the challenge goes on.....

2 comments:

  1. I don't believe you are enabling him. U are HELPING him. I have learned to do what u need to do to get tthe sugar up, and then if there is a true argument, deal with it when he is sane. Most of the time, the argument is just the low talking, and hubby isn't even really mad...hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When he is between 17 to 20, yes . . . you have to do something before he passes out. That is, if he can still swallow at that point! Is he actually still capable of yelling at you at that point? Do you have glucagon injections in the house? Or even frosting in small tubes? I know this sounds gross, but I have had my hubby get to the point a couple times where he was so out of it he could not swallow or suck from a straw, and at that point, frosting can actually work, as it dissolves in the mouth. The gel kind would probably be even better, but have never had it on hand. Another time, the glucagon was home and there was no sugary frosting, so I was literally holding his head back and drizzling soda down his throat. He did finally come around, but the whole episode made for a hell of a family Christmas! My next step was going to be calling the ambulance. This was after he had screamed at me all the way to my brother's house for almost half an hour, and then was so "out of it" I couldn't get him out of the car when we got there. Was I enabling him? More like making sure he survived! Never a dull moment.

    ReplyDelete